AGR began to ramp up resources immediately once the contract was awarded and waited for a suitable rig – a dual activity drill ship – to became available.
- Very limited relevant offset data
- Risk of overpressure
- Logistics complexity - operating across five different customs regimes
- Managing rig intake after shipyard workscope
- Helicopter shortages
- Late decision to deepen well.
Following a refit during a shipyard stay the drill ship sailed. With a four-strong AGR team aboard and seven personnel shore based in Equatorial Guinea, the well was spudded and completed in 20 days. The timescale in which the well was completed is widely believed to be a new record for the area.
Additionally, the well turned out to be AGR’s 500th well drilled since 2000 - a huge milestone for our company.
As a result, AGR delivered for the client:
- The operator’s first exploration well
- All data objectives met
- A well delivered in 20 days – six days ahead of AFE
- Substantial project cost savings.